November 22, 2013

Snail Anatomy

This is a little late, as I planned on posting this shortly after this post, but obviously that didn't happen...

So if I am completely honest, grieving over Sebastian lasted a total of 2.8 minutes. For most of you what I am about to show you will not surprise you one bit...others may be slightly grossed out...I apologize if you are the latter of the two.
When I found him, he was halfway out of his shell and I decided I wanted to keep his shell so....


I suddenly became quite curious about snail anatomy...at first glance I thought this looked like a liver, the color and texture closely resembled a liver anyway. The world wide web and applesnail.net quickly corrected me...That would be her ovary. I know that she is a girl because she has laid a number of batches of eggs over her lifetime.
 
The next thing I looked at needs some background info...the following picture was a frequent occurrence...
We were thoroughly confused the first few times we saw her do this (insert inappropriate jokes). But over time, I kinda came to the conclusion that this 'appendage' is used for breathing because when it would reach the surface you could tell she was sucking in air. So now I wanted to see where this appendage led...


It led to a lung...funny how that works. Again, according to applesnail.net, this 'appendage' is referred to as a siphon. 


Not sure what to do with her shell, but for now it rests on my counter. Its crazy to look back at how much it has grown since we got her:



 



There is your anatomy lesson for the week.
 
Love,
Dani
 
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. -Psalm 107:1

1 comment:

  1. I should send you the old photos from when you dissected the pig from the pig roast....that would really gross everyone out.
    Love you more!

    ReplyDelete